Wednesday, December 29, 2010

*blink* Oh crap, I have a blog, don't I. ...huh.

Well. ...This place is dusty. Internet... dusty.

What would count as dust on the internet? God knows. ANYWAY.

Let's pretend I've been a good little girl and have actually been posting on here. So it will totally not be awkward for me to pick up this poor thing and pretend it's not rusty and dusty and disused and start using it.

Shabby chiq is in right now, right?

---

So Chris challenged* me to start cooking more! Our culinary experiences lately have roamed all over the fast food spectrum, and frankly we're both tired of it. He suggested that instead of grocery shopping every week, we go every day. That way, we would eventually build up enough in the fridge and the pantry to have a lazy day and make something from strictly on-hand items.

At first, my old argument of "But I only buy things that are on sale and it's cheaper that way" sprang into mind. ...But then I also remembered exactly how God-awfully expensive fast food is and, in the end, we would probably end up spending around the same amount of money.. if not less by doing it his way.

Before I agreed, I reminded him that in able to do this sort of shopping schedule properly, we would have to create a menu a week or so in advance to prevent too many headaches. He nodded absently. *sigh* I don't think he really understands what goes into planning a menu.

BUT. He's also promised to start helping with dinner, especially on nights when I'm closing (9pm) and coming home dead tired and stinky. It's like he's challenged himself to start cooking and has finally taken what I've told him COUNTLESS times to heart: You have to actually cook to figure out how to cook. You won't learn if you don't screw up a few times.

He made us hamburgers and french fries the other night from scratch... I don't think he really realized all the little steps involved in it. Perhaps he even has a little bit of an idea what I get to do from now on.

I'm very proud of him, but at the same time I have a little 10 year old girl in the back of my head, covered in flour, pointing and laughing full out in his face.

..*cough*

Tonight was Beef Stroganoff, a dish that I have never ever had, cooked, tasted, or even knew what went into it before I looked the recipe up. Chris requested it, so of course I said "Okay!!" totally not knowing what it was.

I was pretty sure pasta went into it at some point.

I surfed AllRecipes for awhile before I found a fairly simple recipe (Butter, beef, onion, sour cream). Of course, I have learned to cruise the comments on AllRecipes, because there's always little helpful tidbits in there. The comment area is actually where I found my recipe for the evening. *laughs*

My simple four ingredient recipe had dry sherry, mushrooms, beef stock, salt, pepper, and paprika heaped on top of it with absolutely no measurements except to only use 8oz of sour cream.

Chris assures me it was wonderful, and while I did enjoy the taste a whole buncha lots, I still have no freaking clue whether I got it right. As it is, I think I got the sauce a little thin.

---

On top of Chris' challenge, I added a little a few of my own on top of it:

-I'm going to try to cook as many of the (hundreds) of recipes in my bookmarks folder as possible. All my favorite blogs will be scoured for recipes, keeping in mind the Chris will be cooking at least once a week.

-I'm going to write about my successes and failures on here (or have a minor tissy on facebook), and if you're really lucky, I'll even post pictures.

-I'm going to clean as I go. ie: Put dishes in the dishwasher after I use them, clean up my pans after I use them... You get it. This one will probably be the hardest, but I'm hoping it will become a habit.

It's a little early for a New Years resolution, and as a rule I normally don't have them... but I think I'll make an exception this year.

2 comments:

  1. I also forgot to mention that I'm going to try and start cooking deserts, too.

    Since I don't want us to get horribly horribly fat and diabetic, I think I'll make it a once-weekly thing. ..Maybe Sundays, just for special.

    While infinitely harder, the results are almost never too screwed up to enjoy to some extent.

    Oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photo-based blogs are amazing and you should do one. They just make things look so easy and doable, even if the photos are oftentimes more for the artistic value than anything else.

    (Do it! Do it! Do it!)

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © my green blanket. Template created by Volverene from Templates Block
WP by WP Themes Master | Price of Silver